Wednesday 19 September 2012

Divine raw salad and apple honey dressing

Well, I said I'd be back at lunchtime! I hope you're all having a wonderful day, enjoying the sunshine if it's sunny where you are! 

I've made myself a salad for lunch. A wonderful, fresh, raw salad with an apple and honey dressing to go with it. 





Ta dah! Pretty, isn't it? Do you see all the colour? A colour variety in your food is so important. It means those foods carry different nutrients that benefit your body in different ways. For example, red fruits and vegetables (like my grated beetroot there) contain lycopene and ellagic acid, which lower the risk of things like various cancers and lowers blood pressure. Then your orange ones (like the carrot) contain beta carotene, potassium and vitamin c, which fight harmful free radicals and help promote healthy joints. I could go on and on, but you get the picture, right? We need to be including a large variety of colours of fruits and vegetables for our bodies to function at their optimum level. 

So, in my salad today I have : Cos lettuce, raw broccoli, raw corn off the cob, grated beetroot and carrot, black seedless grapes and a sprinkle of sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and pine nuts. 

The dressing is so very simple but very delicious. 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (organic and unrefined) and a teaspoon of organic honey. Shake it all up in a container and pour it over the top. Done!


Happy healthy eating everyone :)


Nadia
xxx 

No comments:

Post a Comment