Friday 14 December 2012

The Joys of Christmas



I love Christmas. It would have to be my absolute favourite time of year. The excitement in the air is tangible. I love that it's a time of year that needs to be prepared for. The ritual of shopping for presents, planning the Christmas menu, baking sweet spiced treats, putting up lights in the yard, playing Christmas carols and of course decorating the Christmas tree. 

This year, I'm finding so much joy in watching my 3 year old son. It's his first year of being really truly aware that something special is coming, and he's realising what Christmas is. His face positively lights up with delight when we go to the shopping centre and he sees the decorations up everywhere. We could go every day and his excitement wouldn't be less. It's beautiful to see. 

I'm actually organised for Christmas this year. Usually it's a mad rush around in the week before Christmas trying to get it all done and I end up feeling exhausted and stressed. Not much fun at all. So this year I was determined to be ready for it so it was the enjoyable experience I wanted it to be. I put the kids Christmas presents on layby in July and paid it off over the last five months and in that time also collected small presents for their stockings. I have my turkey ordered and a deposit paid on it and I have a few food items put away already. I know there is still a lot to get done, but it's mostly in the preparation area in the kitchen. And I just love spending time in the kitchen so it's definitely not a chore. 

Our tree isn't up yet......
I wanted to save it for when all the kids were together and my stepson arrives soon for the holidays so we decided to wait and make it a true family event. It's something wonderful to look forward to anyway. 
We have Christmas lights in the yard for the first time ever! I am so excited about this. Because our 3 year old is so in love with the Christmas lights up the street (a gorgeous display) my husband decided to put up some coloured fairy lights along the fence in the back yard and we have some solar candy cane and Santa lights in the front yard. It's not huge, but we go out each evening as a family to look at the lights now. I love it.

I'd love to hear what's on your Christmas menu this year! I've decided not to include it in this post but save it for one later this week. I love menu planning and this year I've decided to keep it simple but it will all be gluten free and I can't wait to share it with you.
 
 I will leave it there for today but I hope you all have a beautiful Christmas with the people you love and that the warmth and joy of the new year fills your lives and hearts.




Merry Christmas!

Nadia
xxx 

No comments:

Post a Comment