Wednesday 29 August 2012

*RECIPE* - Apple and Sultana Cake

I decided to do some baking today, and made one of our family favourites. Apple and Sultana Cake. It's one of those delightfully rustic cakes, which requires little to no baking skill :) Don't we love those? I hope you enjoy it xxx

*I made a double batch of this mixture, because I wanted to make 2 cakes. The recipe is for a single batch, but the photos show the double batch. Just in case you think it looks like a lot - it is!


APPLE AND SULTANA CAKE

Ingredients:

2 apples, peeled and diced (great for apples that are bruised or are a bit old)
1 cup sultanas
1/2 cup raw sugar (you can use any sugar, I used plain white sugar today because it's all I had)
2 eggs
125g butter, melted
1/2 cup ground almonds
1 cup wholemeal SR flour (I use gluten free SR flour but it is very lovely with the wholemeal)
1 tsp cinnamon

Method:

Peel and dice your apples and place them in a bowl with the sultanas.



 Add everything else:(do you notice I don't bother sifting my flour for this cake?)



Mix together:


Pour into a greased loaf tin. Make sure you line the base with a piece of baking (greaseproof) paper. 





Bake at 180 degrees celsius for approximately 1 hour. After it's been baking for about 20 minutes, cover it with a piece of foil. Because of the high sugar content of the fruit, your cake will burn if left uncovered for the full hour. 
Check your cake after about 40 minutes as oven temperatures vary, just to make sure you don't over cook it.

And, here it is!








Before you turn the cake out onto a cooling rack, loosen the sides of the cake with a knife. The hot sultanas will stick to the pan as it cools and your cake will break apart. Or, you could line the whole tin with baking paper if you prefer. 


Eat and enjoy!

This is one of those fabulous cakes that you just put all the ingredients into one bowl, mix then pour into your baking tin. So easy! It is a beautiful morning or afternoon tea cake and would be a lovely cake to welcome a new neighbour or to give a friend. 

Remember, if you use the raw sugar and wholemeal flour your cake will look darker than mine pictured. I used white sugar and gluten free flour. But the raw sugar lends a gorgeous caramel flavour to the cake, I highly recommend it!


Happy Baking!


Nadia
xxx 
 

2 comments:

  1. Looks great! I think I might give this a go today, minus the sultanas (I haven got any lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you were, and still are a great cook Nadia.

    ReplyDelete